Have you ever seen the movie, Pass it on ? Well I had my own experience of just that the other day. I was at work, it was the end of my split shift and it was fairly late. I had brought a change of clothes with me to work so I could go out after for a drink without having to drive across town etc... While I was putting on my make up in the ladies washroom, there was a lady in her 40's there and we struck up a conversation. I felt kind of weird doing my hair and make up with her there trying to wash her hands.... I apologized, said I just finished my shift and it's just easier to get ready here than go home etc. She laughed and said she remembered doing the same thing, night shifts, split shifts. We spoke of me being a single mother, and she said it will get easier... not to worry, someday I will have my 9-5 to job that I like. We laughed and said by and that was it.
So I finished and went out to the lounge side of work where my friends were who were also just finishing their shifts. We sat and had a few drinks while everyone finished. Well before I knew it, the same lady came over to me, hugged me and slipped me 20$ and said to take my girl out for an ice cream and enjoy some time with her. She walked away and sat with her friend. Well I didn't know what to think!!! I went over to them and said thank you very much, but you don't have to do this.... She said....
"When I was younger, and going through my same situation, there were people who would offer me advise, or help and I never realized exactly what they were offering me until now. After I spoke with you in the washroom I thought to myself what a beautiful, smart young lady you are, you are a hard worker to be a waitress I know. I found myself wishing I could some how contribute. Then I thought, I could give you that, it's not much, but it's something. If I were rich I would give you so much more. But I'm not, all I ask is that you remember this for when you have your opportunity to do the same to someone else."
Just like the movie!!!!!!!!! There are some amazing people out there still. So just when you think it's all a bunch of freaks out there....take it upon yourself to take the time to do one selfless act of kindness for a stranger and make their day. What's the worst that will happen? They will smile and think wow, there not all freaks out there, and they might do the same for someone else? That one act on her behalf, will be something I will remember for the rest of my life. It made me change the way I look at few things too.....
So pass it on......
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment